Friday, June 19, 2020

Google Analytics


Many years ago, there was a commercial on TV showing four or five people surrounding a lonely laptop computer sitting on a folding table in the middle of an empty warehouse-type room. Someone clicked “Start” and they were thrilled when the order box turned from zero to one. Within minutes another several orders popped up and the group became excited, laughing and cheering each other on. It quickly got out of hand, though, when several became many and many became an overwhelming number in the thousands; sort of an oh-my-gosh-what-have-we-got-ourselves-into moment. (The ad was for UPS).

As I signed up for Google Analytics this week, I opened my Google Ads Campaign and quickly discovered that my ad was running. I had over 85 hits and 2.53k impressions! When I went to my store page, I also realized I didn’t have the right kind of hosting set up to actually make sales online. This learning process is a bit of a “J” curve.

I can see that the different pieces of information Google shows me in relation to my ad campaign will help me make decisions going forward; things like the timing of my ads and the demographics of who is clicking on my site. I hope to understand better the data on each of the charts as time goes by and I generate sales. It will be exciting to see monetary results of my efforts.

With the limited amount of traffic already to my site, I can tell that people are actually reading my ads and responding to them. That’s a pretty heady feeling. And on top of all that, four people signed up for my newsletter! A newsletter that doesn’t exist yet!

I’ll be working on that in the coming days…

No comments:

Post a Comment